40+ Powerful Scriptures on Giving
Published June 21, 2022
If you look at the dictionary, you will see that the word “giving” has so many definitions. It ranges from simple ones like handing over something to someone to deeper ones like providing love or emotional support to someone.
But in the scriptures, giving is more than just that. Giving in the bible is an act of praise, gratitude, and recognition.
When you give something of yourself or share what you have with others, you are praising God by doing his commandments. In the same way, giving a part of your income to the church is an expression of gratitude for His perpetual providence. And by doing all these things, you are recognizing Him as the provider and source of everything. It’s an acknowledgment that without Him, we can do nothing.
If you want to learn more about what the Bible says about giving, here are some of the most powerful scriptures on giving:
Types of Giving in the Bible
Just like how there are different definitions of giving, it also comes in various forms. According to the scriptures, these are the four types of giving:
In the bible, a tithe is often described as a tenth of one’s income that should be reserved for the lord. It’s more than just a symbol of gratitude for His divine providence but also a recognition that He alone is the source and provider of all things.
Offerings are anything you offer to God that’s in excess of the required tithe. While tithe has a required amount, offerings are given out of one’s free will. The amount totally depends on you.
Grace giving is when the blessings of God flow through you and into the people who need them. In short, you become the vessel by which God’s abundance overflows. It can either be financial abundance or an abundance in love or spiritual awakening. All of these are given through God’s grace which enables you to share them with the people around you.
This is the kind of giving that we’re most familiar with. Alms refer to anything given to help the poor and less fortunate. From the old to the new testament, the bible repeatedly emphasizes our duty to give to those who have less than us. From giving food to the homeless to helping a low-income family with their groceries, all these are examples of almsgiving.
Bible Verses About the Joy and Benefits of Giving
- Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. – Luke 6:38
- Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. – Matthew 6:1-4
- He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses. – Proverbs 28:27
- Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor. – Proverbs 22:9
- The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. – Corinthians 9:6-7
- And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ – Matthew 25:40
- One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. – Proverbs 11:24
- But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. – 1 Chronicles 29:14
- A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. – Proverbs 11:25
- A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great. – Proverbs 18:16
- When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things. – Psalm 104:28
- And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward. – Matthew 10:42
- And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. – Galatians 6:9
- Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble, the Lord delivers him. – Psalm 41:1
Bible Verses About Giving and Generosity
- But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? – 1 John 3:17
- Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise. – Luke 3:10
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. – Proverbs 3:27
- Just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us– see that you also excel in this grace of giving. – 2 Corinthians 8:7
- Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. – Luke 6:30
- Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit. – Leviticus 25:36-37
- Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. – Luke 12:33
- If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? – James 2:15-16
- Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. – Proverbs 19:17
- If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be. – Deuteronomy 15:7-8
- Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.” – Luke 21:1-4
- In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” – Acts 20:35
- For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have. – 2 Corinthians 8:12
- All day long he craves for more, but the righteous give without sparing. – Proverbs 21:26
- Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” – Matthew 19:21
- Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give. – Psalm 37:1
- If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. – 1 Corinthians 13:3
- As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. – 1 Timothy 6:17-19
- Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. – Hebrews 13:16
- Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matthew 6:19-21
- For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. – 1 Timothy 6:10
- No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. – Matthew 6:24
- Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. – Galatians 6:2
- If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. – Proverbs 25:2
Scriptures on Giving Offering and Tithes
- Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the first fruits of all your produce. – Proverbs 3:9
- No man should appear before the LORD empty-handed. Each of you must bring a gift in proportion to the way the LORD your God has blessed you. – Deuteronomy 16:16-17
- Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. – Romans 12:13
- You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. – Deuteronomy 15:10
- “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” – Malachi 3:10
- A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. – Leviticus 27:30
- Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches. – Galatians 6:6
- You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. – Deuteronomy 8:18
Donate To The Poor & Homeless Of South Florida Online
Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen has fed the poor and homeless in South Florida over 900,000 hot meals since 1993. Our 501(c)(3) non profit organization also collects and distributes donations such as clothing, toiletries, shoes, bicycles, and more. You can donate to help the poor and homeless through our website.
About The Author
Judy Ponio is a professional writer and SEO specialist. She works hard to ensure her work uses accurate facts by cross checking reputable sources. She is the lead author for several prominent websites covering a variety of topics including law, health, nutrition, and more.
Correct Digital, Inc is paid by private donors to provide website digital marketing services to this non-profit organization.