50+ Inspiring Quotes About Giving Back and Helping Others
Published January 7, 2022
They say that no man is an island. We all need each other to survive and thrive. And with so many people suffering from homelessness and injustice around the world, there’s never been a better time to give back and help others.
Yes, each of us has our own burdens. But that doesn’t mean we can’t do anything to ease each other’s loads. Even very simple gestures of kindness can make a lot of difference. A simple smile or words of encouragement can make someone’s day. Those food items, old clothes, or books you’ve donated can change a life. And a simple care package can help a homeless person get through the day.
That’s the beauty of giving back and helping. You don’t need to be a multi-millionaire to make a difference. All you need is a true desire to make life better for others and the will to follow it through.
If you want more reminders about the importance of giving, here are some quotes about giving back and helping others that will surely inspire you:
- I believe that we all have a responsibility to give back. No one becomes successful without lots of hard work, support from others, and a little luck. Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful. – Ron Conway
- Go out into the world and do good until there is too much good in the world. – Larry H. Miller
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi
- It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. – Mother Teresa
- Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. – Seneca
- At the end of the day, it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished… it’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back. – Denzel Washington
- No one is more cherished in this world than someone who lightens the burden of another. – Joseph Addison
- The thrill of taking lasts a day. The thrill of giving lasts a lifetime. – Joan Marques
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. – Aesop
- Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. – Booker T. Washington
- What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. – Albert Pike
- I believe giving back is one of the greatest life lessons we can teach our children: that the world isn’t all about them and that, through our actions, people will really discover what kind of person we truly are. – Gretchen Carlson
- He who wishes to secure the good of others has already secured his own. – Confucius
- Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth. – Muhammad Ali
- Even if it’s a little thing, do something for those who have need of a man’s help– something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it. For, remember, you don’t live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here, too – Albert Schweitzer
- We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something. – Mother Teresa
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others? – Martin Luther King Jr.
- To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
- Give yourself entirely to those around you. Be generous with your blessings. A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. – Steve Maraboli
- Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. – James Matthew Barrie
- The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. – Oscar Wilde
- If you’re not reaching back to help anyone, then you’re not building a legacy. – Germany Kent
- The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away. – William Shakespeare
- Be the sun in someone’s dark sky. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
- Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless. – Sherry Anderson
- I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver. – Maya Angelou
- Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance. – St. Francis of Assisi
- If you want to touch the past, touch a rock. If you want to touch the present, touch a flower. If you want to touch the future, touch a life. – Anonymous
- Even if you just change one life, you’ve changed the world forever. – Mike Satterfield
- Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns. – Anonymous
- You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. – Kahlil Gibran
- The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter– to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all. – Leo Rosten
- You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Compassion is even more powerful than courage. Sure, with courage you can conquer a world – but only with compassion can you heal and build it. – Rasheed Ogunlaru
- There is no better exercise for your heart than reaching down and helping to lift someone up. – Bernard Meltzer
- Love cannot remain by itself—it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action and that action is service. – Mother Teresa
- Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more. – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back. – Maya Angelou
- If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers more than ever. — Kofi Annan
- Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. – Leo Buscaglia
- It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. – Albert Einstein
- How wonderful it is that nobody needs to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. – Anne Frank
- You may not have saved a lot of money in your life, but if you have saved a lot of heartaches for other folks, you are a pretty rich man. – Seth Parker
- If you become a helper of hearts, springs of wisdom will flow from your heart. – Rumi
- Help others without any reason and give without the expectation of receiving anything in return. – Roy T. Bennett
- As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands — one for helping yourself, the other for helping others. – Audrey Hepburn
- Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution. – Kahlil Gibran
- The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves. – Helen Keller
- It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference. – Tom Brokaw
- We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. – Herman Melville
- Giving does not only precede receiving; it is the reason for it. It is in giving that we receive. – Israelmore Ayivor
- No one has ever become poor by giving. – Anne Frank
- As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way. – Mary Anne Radmacher
- Sometimes those who give the most are the ones with the least to spare. – Mike McIntyre
- My own experience about all the blessings I’ve had in my life is that the more I give away, the more that comes back. That is the way life works, and that is the way energy works. – Ken Blanchard
- If you can’t pay it back, pay it forward. – Catherine Ryan Hyde
Help the Homeless
Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen has been helping homeless people in South Florida for more than 30 years. Aside from serving hot lunches, we also do our best to meet their clothing and basic hygiene needs. Running a soup kitchen is not an easy task thus we greatly appreciate any help we can get. You can donate to our cause online or drop food packages and clothing donations at Our Father’s House in Pompano Beach, Florida.
Donate To The Poor & Homeless Of South Florida
Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen has fed the poor and homeless in South Florida over 900,000 hot meals since 1993. Our tax deductible non profit organization also accepts and distributes donations such as clothing, toiletries, shoes, bicycles, and more. You can donate to help the poor and homeless through our website.
About The Author
Judy Ponio is a professional writer and devoted Christian. She has a passion for writing about topics related to morality and helping the poor and homeless. She is the lead author for the Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen blog.
Correct Digital, Inc is paid by private donors to provide website digital marketing services to this non-profit organization.