60+ Forgiveness Quotes to Help You Heal
Published December 5, 2022
We’ve all been hurt by people at some point in our lives. Sometimes, the pain is so great, and the wound is so deep that we thought we could never forgive them. That’s why they say that forgiveness is only for the brave. It takes a special kind of courage to forgive the people who hurt us.
Yes, it’s not easy to forgive. But you know what’s even harder? Living a life of anger and resentment.
You see, forgiving others is not about forgetting what they’ve done or letting them off despite their wrongdoings. Forgiveness is something you do for yourself. It’s your way of releasing yourself from all the pain and resentment that’s keeping you from becoming truly happy.
When you learn to forgive others, you also learn to forgive yourself. Because when someone hurts us, somewhere in the deepest recesses of our hearts, there’s also that guilt for not having the courage to stand up for ourselves. Forgiveness helps you let go of that guilt and finally give yourself the peace you deserve. Think of it as the first step to healing and starting anew.
If you need more inspiration, here are some forgiveness quotes to help you heal:
Quotes About Forgiveness
- Forgiving isn’t something you do for someone else. It’s something you do for yourself. It’s saying ‘You’re not important enough to have a stranglehold on me.’ It’s saying, ‘You don’t get to trap me in the past. I am worthy of a future’. – Jodi Picoult
- Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against natural instinct to pay back evil with evil. – Pope John Paul II
- Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting – William Arthur Ward
- Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. It means, rather, that the evil act no longer remains as a barrier to the relationship. Forgiveness is a catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start and a new beginning. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness. – Josh Billings
- Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. – Mark Twain
- Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart. – Corrie Ten Boom
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. – Mahatma Gandhi
- Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life. – George McDonald
- Forgiveness is not weak. It takes courage to face and overcome powerful emotions. – Desmond Tutu
- Forgiveness is the needle that knows how to mend. – Jewel
- Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future. – Paul Lewis Boese
- Forgiveness isn’t approving what happened. It’s choosing to rise above it. – Robin Sharma
- True forgiveness is when you can say, “Thank you for that experience. – Oprah Winfrey
- Forgiveness is designed to set you free. When you say, “I forgive you,” what you’re really saying is ‘I know what you did is not okay, but I recognize that you are more than that. I don’t want to hold us captive to this thing anymore. I can heal myself, and I don’t need anything from you – Sarah Montana
- Forgiveness is a powerful expression of the love within our soul. – Anthony Douglas
- Without forgiveness, life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation. – Roberto Assagioli
- Forgiveness is the final form of love. – Reinhold Niebuhr
Quotes About Asking for Forgiveness
- Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them. – Bruce Lee
- The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven. – Robert Downey Jr.
- The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone. – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned. – Francis of Assisi
- It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. – Grace Hopper
Inspirational Forgiveness Quotes
- We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. – Martin Luther King
- Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, because hate in your heart will consume you too. – Will Smith
- It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody. – Maya Angelou
- Before we can forgive one another, we have to understand one another. – Emma Goldman
- We win by tenderness. We conquer by forgiveness. – Frederick William Robertson
- As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison. – Nelson Mandela
- It’s not an easy journey, to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you. – Tyler Perry
- To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you. – Lewis B. Smedes
- Life is an adventure in forgiveness. – Norman Cousins
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. – Oscar Wilde
- Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it forgoes revenge, – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
- If we really want to love, we must learn how to forgive. – Mother Teresa
- To err is human; to forgive, divine. – Alexander Pope
- Anger begets more anger, and forgiveness and love lead to more forgiveness and love. – Mahavira
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Sins cannot be undone, only forgiven. – Igor Stravinsky
- If one by one we counted people out. For the least sin, it wouldn’t take us long. To get so we had no one left to live with. For to be social is to be forgiving. – Robert Frost
- The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive – John Green
- Surely it is much more generous to forgive and remember, than to forgive and forget. – Maria Edgeworth
- The remedy for life’s broken pieces is not classes, workshops or books. Don’t try to heal the broken pieces. Just forgive. – Iyanla Vanzant
- When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow. – Anonymous
- Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness; those are life-altering lessons. – Jessica Lange
- He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven. – Thomas Fuller
Family Forgiveness Quotes
- The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family. And if you hate those ties, those people will still be your family because whatever you hate will always be with you. – C. Joybell C.
- There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love. – Bryant H. Mcgill
- Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. – Fred Rogers
- I believe forgiveness is the best form of love in any relationship. It takes a strong person to say they’re sorry and an even stronger person to forgive. – Yolanda Hadid
- Never forget the nine most important words of any family: I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me. – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. – Oscar Wilde
- It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. – William Blake
- Forgiveness is important in families, especially when there are so many secrets that need to be healed – for the most part, every family’s got them. – Tyler Perry
- Take forgiveness slowly. Don’t blame yourself for being slow. Peace will come. – Yoko Ono
- Forgiveness is healing…especially forgiving yourself. – Alyson Noël
- How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself – Publilius Syrus
- Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on. – Less Brown
- As we know, forgiveness of oneself is the hardest of all the forgivenesses. – Joan Baez
- The people who did you wrong or who didn’t quite know how to show up, you forgive them. And forgiving them allows you to forgive yourself too. – Jane Fonda
- It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself. – Patty Duke
Donate To The Poor & Homeless Of South Florida
Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen has fed the poor and homeless in South Florida over 900,000 hot meals since 1993. Our tax deductible non profit organization also accepts and distributes donations such as clothing, toiletries, shoes, bicycles, and more. You can donate to help the poor and homeless through our website.
About The Author
Judy Ponio is a professional writer and devoted Christian. She has a passion for writing about topics related to morality and helping the poor and homeless. She is the lead author for the Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen blog.
Correct Digital, Inc is paid by private donors to provide website digital marketing services to this non-profit organization.